Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Emblems of privilege or tricks of the trade

Much has been said in the media lately about the growing inequality between the richest citizens of the US and virtually everyone else. I was particularly dismayed at the revelation in a major paper that otherwise fit academic leaders at a major research university had obtained medical waivers to allow them to fly first class on fund raising and other business trips.  Travel policy called for them  to travel in coach.  A few days later, there was a motivated defense in the same paper of spending money to make money and the need to retain critical talent in higher education.

I don't care about first class versus the discount airlines' cattle call.  I don't care about courting donors.

Faking a medical excuse makes me want to puke.  Cowardly sleaze balls behave like that.

Yes, Jerry Brown is an adult.  I agree with his opinion that the austerity most Americans observe ought to mean something.

Is this the recipe for a stable society?   It feels more like a recipe for social unrest.

Addison Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment