Friday, December 14, 2012

Logos, legacies, and language

In a comment on the tempestuous teapot surrounding the University of California's now abandoned new logo, a UC alum and former employee provided this perspective in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

" In my judgment, the new "brand" is evidence that the values and mission of those who run (not lead) the University have changed from "Let There Be Light" and the proud tradition of excellence in public higher education to a pervasive and crass commercialism fit better for a department store than for a University.

I find absolutely nothing in the new "brand" that represents teaching, research or public service.
Those who made the decision to adopt this new "brand" will find this writer's heretofore public advocacy silenced and open wallet closed."

While my similar past connects to another university, I wonder at the proportionality of this, and much contemporary discourse.

For this person, apparently a beneficiary of major public investment in education both as a student and an employee, the appearance of a graphic is sufficient to withhold both public advocacy and philanthropy.  Of course, the graphic logo is intended to be more than a decoration.  It is iconographic and, like all such things connected to institutions, corporations, or religions, a representation of much, much more.

Even so, to abandon one's alma mater, to be convinced of the moral bankruptcy of a group of people who are very likely to be working as hard as they can to extend the benefits the comment's author has enjoyed to a new generation, seems to fit right into fiscal cliffs, makers and takers, and evolution and creation.

I'm not very fond of the new UC logo either, but I am committed to do all I can to support affordable higher education, raise awareness of the value of research and public service, and advocate for the single best investment in support of civilization.

If any community had grounds to turn their backs on an institution, it is the Penn State family.  Most of those folks have renewed their membership and committed their support, both advocacy and money, to the benefit of those who follow.  I understand that charitable giving to PSU is up.

Cutting off UC because you don't like a logo seems extreme to me.

Merry Christmas. Advertising says we deserve it.

Addison Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment